Saturday, December 07, 2013

Record-setting day for UConn's Cochran and Davis

It was a pretty unforgettable day at Rentschler Field.

The festivities began with AD Warde Manuel meeting with the media to answer questions (at least those not concerning head coach candidates) and then it was time for Casey Cochran and Geremy Davis to take over.

Judging by the first three drives, all ending with Cole Wagner punts, there was no indication of the assault on the UConn record book that Cochran and Davis were about to embark on.

The Huskies managed 41 yards of total offense on their first three drives. By game's end Cochran had thrown for a Connecticut single-game record 461 yards and Davis hauled in a record 15 receptions in the 45-10 win over Memphis.

"We had a great time, guys were on the sideline laughing joking," said Davis, who also surpassed the 1,000-yard mark during the game.

While Davis has been producing on a weekly basis for two seasons, Cochran was an afterthought in the UConn quarterback derby for much of the season.

Chandler Whitmer began the season as the starter and then after an 0-4 start, true freshman Tim Boyle was the next QB to take over.

"It is very rewarding," Cochran said. "There were times this year when it was very discouraging. In camp I was taking some reps with the 3’s (third-team offense) and I wasn’t taking many reps at all and I give it to everybody around me, my family, my friends. Everybody has really helped me push through that and realize my chance would come.

"(UConn quarterbacks) Coach (Shane) Day ever since he has been here he has always preached to us that you never know when it is going to be your last play, you never know when you are going to your shot. I had no idea I was going to play at Buffalo, I never knew at the end of the year that we were going to have games like this or if I was even going to be playing and I give so much credit with people around me."

Cochran's 451 yards broke the mark of 445 set by Dan Orlovsky against Syracuse in 2004. Orlovsky, a former Shelton High star, is one of the most revered players in UConn history making the record all the more special for Cochran.

"I just remember him being a great player, leading the team and putting UConn on the map and I certainly heard so much of him from high school, him staying in state," Cochran said. "That really spoke to me at a young age and I wanted to stay here, I wanted to play for UConn. I am glad I can be in the same sentence with Dan."

UConn was up big when T.J. Weist kept Cochran and Davis in the game in the fourth quarter so Davis and Cochran could set the single-game marks.

"I didn’t want to run the score up," Weist said. "We weren’t taking shots and throwing it deep, just throwing short passes and guys making plays and it never really crossed our mind. We wanted to send them out right and whoever made plays made plays, got all the seniors in there Martin (Hyppolite) got a touchdown and got some playing time. All of our seniors who were healthy got to go and that was important."



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home