Monday, August 12, 2013

Freshmen continue to make waves

One of the major differences in this year's preseason camp compared to this point last year is how much UConn coach Paul Pasqualoni is talking up the freshmen.

The most recent example of this came at Friday's media day press conference when Pasqualoni made the point to mentioning the impact freshman cornerback Javon Hadley, an undersized (currently listed at 159 pounds) but extremely athletic true freshman from Miami.

When I headed into Shenkman Training Center where the players were available, Hadley was one of those I was hoping to catch up with.

Here is what he had to say about his quick ascension up the depth chart.

"I am pretty physical and I am proving that and I hoping to do a lot," Hadley said.

"I am very excited because now I have a chance to go with the 2’s, the 3’s and I feel like I am making a name for myself as a freshman. I have a lot of work left but once I get my weight up I should be doing some stuff."

So how quickly has Hadley put himself into taking reps with the second-team defense?

"I was with the 2’s around the fourth day in the dime and nickel situation I played the outside corner and it only took a couple of days to learn my playbook," Hadley said. "I have stuff to tighten up on but I am doing pretty good. It was pretty special for me and I am just fortunate and looking to make the rotation."

Tomorrow's open practice will come after a few days of two-a-day practices so it will be interesting to see when Hadley and his fellow freshmen are in the pecking order.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home