Wednesday, August 05, 2015

UConn rookies making an impression at NFL training camps

While this won't come as a surprise to anybody who followed Geremy Davis' career at UConn, it is still obvious that his work ethic and professional attitude is impressing folks at the New York Giants training camp.

“I think he’s come a long way,” Giants wide receivers coach Sean Ryan said in a blog on the Giants official site. “The thing I really like about him is that he’s really serious. I mean, for a rookie he’s serious about his business. And he’s been that way since day one — he’s a note taker, he pays attention to everything, he’s detailed, he is as good of a worker as you can ask for with a maturity level, for a rookie, that is outstanding. And that is really what’s been most impressive to me.”

While Davis, a sixth-round pick of the Giants, faces plenty of competition to make the final roster, it is clear he is doing everything he can to make the team.

Byron Jones, just the second UConn player to be taken in the first round, drew praise from star receiver Dez Bryant when he not only ran stride for stride with Bryant but knocked a pass out of the hands of one of the NFL's top receivers.

“That was a good job by him because I had it,” Bryant said in a Dallas Morning News blog. “He had my right arm. I practice on my left and my right enough. I had my eyes glued to the ball. He just made an outstanding play. He ripped it out.”

Also former UConn star and second-year pro Shamar Stephen is listed at No. 2 at nose tackle on the most recent depth chart released by the Minnesota Vikings.

Stephen had a solo rookie season outperforming most of the players taken ahead of him in the draft. Stephen was the 35th defensive linemen selected but only first-round pick Aaron Donald of the St. Louis Rams and second rounder Ego Ferguson of the Chicago Bears had more tackles than the 23 recorded by Stephen.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home