Sunday, October 20, 2013

Hardly a happy homecoming

There was the possibility for some feel-good stories to emerge out of Saturday's game against Cincinnati.

Two of the starters on defense (end Angelo Pruitt and linebacker Marquise Vann) grew up in Cincinnati while interim head coach T.J. Weist spent the previous three seasons as an assistant coach with the Bearcats.

While there were plenty of hugs to be exchanged following the game, leaving Nippert Stadium on the wrong end of a 41-16 score wasn't quite how they envisioned their return to Cincinnati transpiring.

"It was another away game for me so I don’t try to eliminate the going home factor so I don’t lose focus on what is important which is playing the game," said Pruitt, who had five tackles. "I can think about now that the game is over."

Vann made his second straight start as Ryan Donohue missed his second game in a row despite going through all the pre-game warmups.

Vann had four tackles and returned a fumble 40 yards for a score in the game.

For Weist, seeing the receivers he used to coach help the Bearcats pile up 388 passing yards wasn't quite what he was hoping for in his second game as the Huskies' interim coach.

"It is bittersweet because my focus is on my team,": Weist said. "It is nice to see all of these guys but you can’t really spend the time focusing on anything else. I would like but I can’t. After the game obviously it is tough because a lot of their guys want to say hello but I am committed to this team, sure I would have liked to have back here and get a win, no question."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home