Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Andrew Adams thrilled to be back for UConn

When Andrew Adams went down during a blocking drill late in preseason camp the hope was that the sophomore defensive back could be back in action by November. However, Adams wasn't about to wait that long to get back on the field.

Adams' hard work was rewarded as he saw his first action of the 2013 season less than two months after suffering a shoulder injury which required surgery.

Adams was brought into the game on the first defensive series and played about 20 snaps. He was credited with an unassisted tackle in the 13-10 loss to South Florida.

"I did a lot of hard work in the training room, I am blessed to be out there this early," Adams said.

"I was pretty fired up and I was waiting for that moment, when it came I was pretty emotional."

Adams was injured in a blocking drill between receivers and defensive backs. Adams locked up with Geremy Davis and neither player was in a hurry to disengage even after the drill was over. Finally Adams fell hard to the ground and hurt his shoulder.

"I didn’t know how bad it was," Adams said. "I couldn’t really move my arm but I had my shoulder pads on so when I went over to the side, I wasn’t in too much pain but he (UConn athletic trainer Bob Howard) saw the bone sticking up and he wasn’t sure (of the severity). He got x-rays and it was a Grade 5 AC joint tear so that was when I knew it was pretty bad. From that point on I said if I wanted to get back, I have to focus on hard work and I set my mind to it."

Adams said he had surgery five days after suffering the injury and he recently was able to resume lifting.

"I have full range of motion so really I am trying to get my full strength back," Adams said.

"It was tough (to miss the first four games) but things happen and God has a plan for me and if I keep working I will be in the position I want to be in."

If there is a silver lining it is that Obi Melifonwu has stepped in and played well as a starting safety.

"He has stepped in for me and he is doing a good job and I am proud of him, we go over film together and we have a close relationship," Adams said. "I try to communicate, communication back there is the key and we have to take over the communication and if everybody back there is on the same page, we will be one of the top secondaries in the country."




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home