Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Leftover Tuesday notes (but the frog legs are all gone)

A few more notes and observations from Tuesday:
  • Maybe they should wait to start the national rankings until mid-October, Randy Edsall said. No one has any idea how good anyone is until then. "The (early-season) rankings are just based on what happened the year before. I don't know if anyone really comes out of the woodwork."

  • The Huskies are still working on straightening out their red zone woes. Asked if he thinks the play-calling inside the 20 has become predictable, he said "We're calling plays based on what we see on film. We try to call things we think will work."

  • Don't expect Andre Dixon to get another 32-carry day like he did against South Florida. Edsall said that was probably a little too much. Of course, if Dixon's on fire and the game is close again....

  • More snap shots of the surreal. Guess who called the UConn athletic communications office to say they were coming up to the Runway to watch UConn play Rutgers on Saturday? Yep. Representatives from the Sugar Bowl. Read that again. UConn has drawn the interest of the Sugar Bowl. The Sugar Bowl!!! Whoda thunk it?!?

  • Palomar Community College in San Marcos, Calif. has been closed the past week because of the wildfires in southern California. Tyler Lorenzen, an All-America at Palomar last fall, says he's been keeping in touch with a lot of his former coaches and teammates to see how they are doing. "Around 30 of them have been evacuated from their houses," Lorenzen said.

  • D.J. Hernandez says Lorenzen has become like a brother over the past few months. "We're always arguing," D.J. says with a smile. "You see him in the morning, and I just make fun of him. He and his family are the most energetic people I've ever seen in my life. I see them at 6 in the morning and they're all (full of life) and I'm just like get away from me. He comes from a great family, and has something special that makes the guys around him better....but I wouldn't want to see him on Red Bull."

  • Spent most of the day on campus working on stuff for the paper. Was hungry as I headed home around 7:30, and stopped off at an all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant in Vernon. I knew I was in trouble when I saw they had frog legs offered on the buffet. Actually, they were deep fried frog legs. They must have been jumping frogs because they were all about five inches long. The kicker is the plate was almost empty, so they went into the kitchen, came back and refilled it! Of course, it takes a lot more than that to spoil my appetite. I was just a little more finicky than usual about what I put on my plate. Still, I can't help but wonder who in Vernon is polishing off mass quantities of frogs legs?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jared Nuss said...

Vernon Super Buffet? oh good stuff

October 30, 2007 10:37 PM 
Blogger Chip Malafronte said...

Bingo. We have a winnah!

October 30, 2007 10:40 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You haven't really lived until you've tried chicken feet. Okay, maybe that is a little bit of an exaggeration. Still, funky food nonetheless - served at Chinese Dim Sum.

October 31, 2007 8:58 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home