Friday, December 01, 2006

Greeting from Derby City


Woke up at 7 a.m. in Orange where it was cloudy and mild. Drove to Bradley Airport in a steady rain. Took a plane to Charlotte where it was sunny and 71 degrees. Jumped on my connecting flight to Louisville and arrived an hour later to freezing temperatures and blasts of what felt like an Arctic wind. Ahh, the wackiness of air travel.

I had planned to visit the Louisville Slugger museum right after I arrived this afternoon to take the tour. I understand you order a custom-made bat, then watch them craft it from a piece of wood right in front of your eyes, brand it with your name, where you can take it to an adjacent batting cage and take a few cuts. While I was only considering ordering my own bat, I was definitely looking forward to checking out the museum and factory, which is only a few steps from my hotel. But the place closes at 5 p.m., and after waiting out an hour flight delay in Charlotte I didn't get to the hotel until 4:30. Looks like I'm out of luck. Tommorrow's noon kickoff will keep me from getting a chance to see it in the morning, and my flight leaves on Sunday before the museum opens. Oh, well. Anyone, however, can place an order for a personalized Louisville Slugger bat through the internet for only $55. The race schedule at Churchill Downs is over for the season, and there's only simulcasting until the spring, so unfortunate timing there, too.

Haven't had a chance to check out the city, though I did drive past Papa John Stadium -- visible from the highway -- as well as the Muhammad Ali Center. I forgot "The Greatest" was born right here in Louisville. I'll probably get up a little earlier and walk around downtown a bit before heading over to campus. Right now, I need to eat dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home