Saturday, September 06, 2008

One more good quote

One more good quote worth checking out: Al Golden's reasoning for that baffling decision to go for it deep in his own territory with the score tied in the fourth quarter.

"It speaks to everything we’re trying to do here,” Golden said of his decision. “Anybody can punt the ball. It’s conventional wisdom. But we’re trying to change 30 years of this crap, and I want to show them we’re going to go for it and make it right here. There is going to be a day, I pray it’s sooner rather than later, that we are going to make that yard.”

Great quote. Still a lousy decision.

Also, just wanted to give a quick word of thanks to Desmond Conner of the Hartford Courant. After finishing all my post-game writing for the paper and blog, I was one of the last to leave the press box at Lincoln Financial Field after the game tonight. I got down to the lobby, but took the wrong exit. The outdoor concourse area I mistakenly wandered into had been locked up, and I wound up trapped inside the 15-foot steel gates. Outdoors. With a tropical storm raining hell upon me. It was the equivalent of stepping into the shower fully clothed. And I couldn't get back into the stadium because, of course, the doors locked behind me when I exited. Desmond was still in the press box when I had left. I called him. He called stadium security. They came out to find me. They did, more or less, after 20 or so more minutes in the monsoon. So, I owe you one, Dez. Now let's hope I don't catch malaria.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home