Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ryan Osiecki to Louisville

Seymour's Ryan Osiecki, brother of UConn recruit Mike Osiecki, is headed to Louisville to play quarterback. He'll be a preferred walk-on this fall. Here's Mike Pucci's story from today's Register:

By Mike Pucci, Register Staff

The odyssey to land at a Division I-A football power finally ended for Seymour product Ryan Osiecki, and the destination is the Big East Conference.

Osiecki, who is finishing up a prep year at Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y., confirmed Monday that he will play at Louisville in the fall.

The commitment is all but certain, only pending the necessary paperwork that is expected to be finalized on Wednesday.

Osiecki, who was a Register All-Area selection at quarterback during his junior year at Seymour in 2006, will join the Cardinals as a preferred walk-on.

“They’ve been talking to me for about a month,” Osiecki said. “They came to see me at a combine (at Milford Academy). They saw me throw the ball, and that was pretty much it.
“(The preferred walk-on status) gets me into school. I’m basically treated like a scholarship player, but they have no more scholarships available. I have to work myself up to get a scholarship. Right now, I’m going to be the second- or third-string (quarterback).”

Considered a top college prospect during his final two seasons at Seymour, Osiecki failed to qualify academically and decided to prep a year. With his academics in order, he feels he has benefited from his time at Milford Academy.

“If I could do it over again, I would’ve gotten straight A’s (in high school),” Osiecki said. “Coming out of high school, it’s all about grades. Everyone could play football. It is a lot easier for coaches to look at you right out of high school.”

With the graduation of quarterback Brian Brohm, who was selected in the second round by the Green Bay Packers in the recent NFL draft, senior Hunter Cantwell is the projected starter this fall for the Cardinals. There are a few sophomores, and redshirt freshmen Matt Simms, son of former New York Giants great Phil, who will also vie for playing time with Osiecki.

Osiecki is not the only member of the family who is expected to play in the Big East. Younger brother Mike, a linebacker who will be a senior at Seymour in the fall, has verbally committed to play at UConn. Louisville will play host to the Huskies on Sept. 26.

“The Big East is perfect for me,” Ryan Osiecki said. “I’m excited as can be. It’s going to be amazing. I can’t wait to play him (Mike). He isn’t going to sack me, I’ll tell you that.”

Mike Pucci can be reached at mpucci@nhregister.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home