Wednesday, June 01, 2016

UConn commits Coyle, Dixon set the pace

Later this month Tyler Coyle and Keyion Dixon will be among the freshmen heading up to UConn to get their first taste of life as a college football player.

First, however they are wrapping up impressive track careers.

Coyle was a triple winner at the CIAC Class MM Championships at Middletown High School. He won the 100 meters (running 10.81 in the preliminaries and 10.78 in the final), he took first place in the 200 (21.92) and ran a leg on the winning 4x100 relay as Windsor narrowly missed setting the Class MM record with a time of 42.16.

Windsor won the team title with 105 points for the program's sixth straight outdoor track class title after winning the Class L title the previous five seasons

Keyion Dixon wasn't quite as busy but he also broke the tape first as he won the 300 intermediate hurdles in a time of 38.80 seconds at the Class LL meet.

I covered the event for the Register and caught up to Dixon. I will be putting together a blog tomorrow with Dixon discussing his excitement at getting his career at UConn going.

Here's what he had to say about winning the 300 hurdles

"I was very happy," Dixon said. "I was running for time instead of running against people so I figured if I tried my best and tried to run my best, I'd get it.

"I've always wanted to look to improve each and every meet. I kind of felt out of shape midseason so I figured the last half of the season I have to kick it into (late) season form, do whatever I needed to in order to win."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home