Thursday, December 24, 2015

UConn's Thomas has pleasant memories of first trip to Florida

Just in case UConn junior receiver Noel Thomas forgets certain details about his first football-related trip to Florida, the words "no excuses" etched into his right arm usually brings Thomas on a trip down memory lane.

That was the motto of the Norwalk Jaguars used en route to playing in the national championships back in 2004 and it is one of three tattoos Thomas has which serves as a reminder of just how big a role football plays in the life of UConn's leading receiver.
"We had shirts made (saying 'no excuses,'" Thomas said. "Football is everything to me so I felt the need to get that.
He also has a football in the middle of the most noticeable tattoo on his arm and above that are the words "whatever you do, work out from the bottom of your heart" and what I believe in."
Even now 11 years later, the lessons and mottos from the journey to the Pop Warner nationals still sticks with him.
Thomas even recalls the details of the 8-7 loss to Tustin Black Cobras, a game that sent the Black Cobras to the Tomlin Division title game and the Jaguars into a consolation contest.
A 2-yard run gave Norwalk a 7-0 lead. The Jaguars went for the non-kicking conversion which was worth a point. When Tustin scored in the second half, the two points awarded for kicking the PAT was the winning margin.
Thomas rattled off the names of his teammates on that Jaguars team, a squad coached by his father, with no problem at all.

He brings many of those lessons with him to this day. Thomas has emerged as the Huskies' go-to player with 54 catches and 719 receiving yards as a senior. Still, Thomas knows there is a higher level for him to strive for,
"I knew there was room for improvement but I think I am going to a pretty good job but I just want to make sure I finish strong and keep the ball rolling for next year," Thomas said.
If he needs any additional motivation, the aforementioned tattoos tend to do the trick.
"When I feel like I am making excuses and I am going to do that to myself, I look at it and try to push myself," Thomas said.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home