Monday, October 26, 2015

UConn in pursuit of a much-needed win

There are times when covering both the UConn football and women's basketball teams causes scheduling conflicts.

Today was such a day as I was in Orlando covering the American Athletic Conference's women's basketball media day so Register columnist (and former UConn football beat writer Chip Malafronte) filled in for me and he wrote about UConn coach Bob Diaco's quest to get the Huskies back on the winning track.

The biggest news to come out of today's press conference is that sophomore defensive end Cole Ormsby could miss the rest of the season due to what Diaco called a lower-body extremity. It is unfortunate because Ormsby was really starting to come on for the Huskies and he got the start against Cincinnati.

I spoke to Ormsby after a recent practice and was considering doing my advance this week on the duo of Ormsby and Kenton Adeyemi but obviously that is not happening. Here's some of what he had to say.

"I am listening to all the coaches the best that I can, they give me good advice," Ormsby said. "It feels good knowing that our work pays off."

Ormsby has been gradually adding weight to his frame which could be seen in his play and how well he held up at the line of scrimmage compared to a season ago.

"I am weighing about 260 now, I am feeling better. I have to get used to it," Ormsby said.

Adeyemi did not make the trip to Cincinnati for "just football family stuff, he is not hurt he is fine. He will be back rolling soon."

Soon is this week as Diaco said Adeyemi has been cleared to return for the Huskies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home