Monday, November 17, 2014

UConn's Diaco reflects on memorable season at Cincinnati

Bob Diaco's time in Cincinnati was rather brief but the memories figure to last a lifetime.

Diaco was the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach for the Bearcats during the 2009 season. Diaco's defense allowed fewer than 21 points in each of the first eight games en route to a perfect 12-0 regular season and appearance in the Sugar Bowl against Florida.

On today's American Athletic Conference call Diaco was asked to look back on one of the best seasons in Cincinnati history. He was quick to point out "one of the" were unnecessary words in describing that magical season.

"Have you been 12-0 before or since," Diaco said.

"It was awesome. I loved it. I lived in this little town just northeast of the city. I loved living there, my family loved it. It was great food. I am a foodie so great food in Cincinnati, awesome restaurants, awesome culture. It was very convenient with proximity to that large airport. It was an easy city to live in, very friendly, big city but kind of a midwest feel and I really liked that. I liked the climate too, it was just south enough where we got a little bit of snow from time to time but not much. The guys were tough guys, great fan support, great following and the team was fun to work with. They were tough, loved to play football, mentally and physically tough, contact tough. It was a fun team to coach, a lot of fun."

Perhaps no one memory remains with Diaco more than the bus ride to the airport to head to the Sugar Bowl.

"I will never forget the Cincinnati crowd as we loaded the busses to go to play Florida in the Sugar Bowl that was in the street as far as the eye could see shaking, banging on the busses," Diaco said. "It was just a spectacular moment."

Diaco downplayed any extra emotions going against Cincinnati.

"Nothing extra," Diaco said. "I personally, I have affinity and affection for my time there. I am excited for the game because we get to play another game and we need to play another game, we need to practice and play."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home