Sunday, September 23, 2012

First things first for pair of UConn recruits

While I wasn't able to make it out to Kalamazoo for Saturday's game with Western Michigan, I did use this weekend to catch up with UConn commits Matt Walsh and Noel Thomas who each played games in New Haven.


Walsh, who had five tackles to help the visiting Tigers to a 37-19 win over Hillhouse Friday afternoon, caught the eye of UConn football coach Paul Pasqualoni as he led Hand to a 34-10 win over New Canaan in the 2011 CIAC Class L championship game which was played at Rentschler Field.

“I will still go up to their games whenever they are home and talk to Coach (George) DeLeone (UConn’s offensive coordinator) a few times a week but I am focusing on this to play the second game in my life in Rentschler Field before I even get up to UConn. That is our goal and if we don't win a state championship it is not a successful season.”

Walsh’s “second game at Rentschler Field” refers to the 2012 Class L championship game in December.
He is no stranger to UConn’s home field as he attending the Huskies’ home games against UMass and North Carolina State and is expecting to be on hand for Saturday’s home game against Buffalo.

“It's a fun atmosphere,” Walsh said. “It kicks in a lot more when you go to a full blown game there.”

Thomas, normally a receiver, was pressed into action at quarterback as starting quarterback Charlie Nelson was sidelined in Saturday's game at Hopkins. Thomas, who took his first snaps at quarterback during Monday’s practice, was 8 of 15 for 110 yards with two touchdown passes and one interception while rushing nine times with 133 yards including a 64-yard touchdown in a 32-13 victory. Thomas spent a large portion of the game on the sidelines when the Storm was on defense so he could work on throwing the ball.

“It was different but when I was younger I always wanted to play quarterback,” Thomas said. “I like having the ball in my hands. I trusted my guys.”

Thomas, who projects as a receiver with the Huskies, is planning to enroll at UConn in January which will allow him to take part in spring practice.

“My last day of school is December 21 and I will be leaving (for UConn) after New Year's,” Thomas said. “I think it will definitely help because when I get affiliated with campus, I start classes Jan. 22 and I get to know my guys, my teammates.”

Thomas hasn’t been to a game at UConn yet this season but he is planning to be there when the Huskies host

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home