Friday, September 21, 2012

Andrew Adams making an impact

After spending the 2011 season on the sidelines as a redshirt trying to get acclimating to college life Andrew Adams was eager to make an impact at UConn. However, the odds were not in his favor as the Huskies were returning both starting safeties (Byron Jones and Ty-Meer Brown) and both starting cornerbacks (Dwayne Gratz and Blidi Wreh-Wilson).

Gradually Adams has been carving out playing time and he started against Maryland as the Huskies opened up with five defensive backs. Maryland's final offensive play Adams came down with Perry Hills' desperation heave into the end zone. Unfortunately for Adams, he was not able to get one of his feet in bounds as he snared the pass.

"I tried to get my foot down but I couldn't quite do it," said Adams, who also had five tackles in the game. "I wanted my first college interception but I am sure it will come soon."

The chance to play with three safeties against Maryland seems like a good dress rehearsal for tomorrow's game against a pass-happy Western Michigan team.

"It definitely will help us because it makes us a more versatile defense, not just lining up in the same thing," Adams said. "Hopefully we get into the quarterback's head a little bit with the three safety stuff."

Adams did not play in last year's game against Western Michigan but was on the sidelines watching WMU quarterback Alex Carder complete his final 14 passes and throw three fourth quarter TDs to lead the Broncos to a 38-31 win.

"It is a big challenge and I feel like our secondary from last year to this year has made a giant step," Adams said. "We are a year older, a year more experienced. I feel like we have a big challenge ahead of us. I feel like we are going to take it head on and be successful."

Adams came into fall camp knowing that earning playing time would not be an easy chore but he has played his way into a key role on one of the nation's top defenses.

"I knew that Byron and Ty-Meer were two very good players, they started last year. I just came out every day in practice (knowing) I had to work hard, know my assignments, play hard and in the end everything will work out."


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home