Saturday, September 01, 2012

Ansonia's Newsome enjoyed trip to UConn game

On my way home from the office today I took a little bit of a detour and decided to check out the always entertaining scrimmage between West Haven and Ansonia.

Back when I was the lead high school football writer I rarely missed the preseason showdown between the Blue Devils and Chargers which was a scrimmage in name only. Friday's event was no different as the teams, who figure to be two of the state's top squads, went at it as if it was a state playoff game. I had another reason to check out the action since Ansonia junior running back Arkeel Newsome has been offered by UConn and was in attendance at Thursday's home opener against UMass.

After Newsome scored three touchdowns in a 28-7 win over West Haven I spent a couple of minutes with Newsome, who ran for 3,763 yards and scored 62 touchdowns in 14 games as a sophomore.

"It was a great experience and they won," Newsome said. "It was kind of weird because both of the schools gave me offers and I went to the game and UConn won.

"It was really exciting, they have an amazing crowd and I was happy to be a part it."

Newsome, who had seven 300-yard rushing games as a sophomore including a 401-yard effort against Derby, is in no rush to make his college decision.

"I'm not that too close, I am just focused on our season."
So what was the best part of the trip to UConn (other than the fact that Ansonia coach Tom Brockett let him out of Thursday's practice a little early so he could make it to Rentschler?)
"Just how the fans the react to big plays, they are all into in and I was rooting along with them."

Newsome said that UConn and UMass are the only schools to offer him at the current time.

I've heard some rumblings that UConn has some interest in West Haven junior running back Ervin Phillips. Phillips, who is likely flying a bit under the radar, but is a dynamic player. For as impressive as he was on the field, it was the way he went over the West Haven's quarterback after an interception and encouraged him to leave the mistake in the past and move forward that made the biggest impression on me. When you combine his physical gifts with the leadership skills he possesses and somebody will be getting quite a gem when he picks a college.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home