Friday, August 31, 2012

Wildcat is here to stay

Considering that quarterback Scott McCummings finished at UConn's second-leading rusher during the 2011 season it's pretty clear that the offensive coaches with the Huskies are proponents of adding the wrinkle of the wildcat formation into the weekly game plans.

UConn wasted little time is getting McCummings involved as he was in the game on the Huskies' first offensive series. With McCummings' running ability combined with the wrinkle of giving speedy slot receiver Nick Williams the ball on sweeps or simply handing off to tailback Lyle McCombs there are some intriguing options when the Huskies go to the wildcat.

“There are a lot of people to take account of so it is hard to keep everyone in check every single play,” said McCummings, who ran seven times for 13 yards including a 1-yard TD. “Some plays are going to burst.”
Williams is hoping that his expanded role in the offense is a sign of things to come.
“I kind of had a little bit of a chip on my shoulder because I wanted to be more than just a return guy and this season I would like to be more involved on offense,” Williams said. “In the pass game, run game, return game, blocking whatever it is I am all for it. I am excited and happy to be on the field.
“(The sweep) is the little addition we have to the wildcat. In the past Kashif (Moore) was running that now I am running it. The way they are so aggressive when Scotty goes into the game it is a nice complement.”
PASQUALONI AWAITS WORD ON JENNINGS
In his conference call with the media on Friday Pasqualoni said that senior defensive end Teddy Jennings was expected to have an MRI done on his injured left knee to check on the severity of the injury he suffered in the third quarter.
“We are going to get an MRI this afternoon but I have to wait until I know for sure,” Pasqualoni said. “I am optimistic but I don't know for sure.”

Pasqualoni also said that game balls for the UMass team will be given to the entire defensive squad as well as kicker Chad Christen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home