Friday, August 10, 2012

UConn's Cochran, Stewart talk about their health

Casey Cochran and Graham Stewart have more in common than just being  two of the highest profile in-state players on the UConn football team, they are both also spending about as much time with the medical staff as they are on the field.

Cochran, a record-breaking freshman quarterback who played at New London and then Masuk, injured his left (non throwing) wrist when he fell off his bike at home. The good news is that Cochran hopes to get the cast off and be able to practice fully perhaps as early as before the Aug. 30 season opener.


"All I can do is take it in stride," Cochran said. "It happened and I can't go back now. I am doing as much as I can. I think I learned more football these last couple of weeks ... I haven't been able to practice like the other guys. I am working as hard as I can. I think I probably am working harder than I would be injury free.

"I am getting extra reps after practice but I can't take any snaps yet. I am throwing and taking as many mental reps as possible, that is the biggest thing is just being behind the offense when they are running."

Stewart, a former Xavier High star, is not as fortunate. Stewart, a linebacker, was hoping to receive a waiver from the NCAA after transferring from Florida so he could play this season. However, when Stewart suffered a torn pec muscle while bench pressing UConn never followed through with the paperwork since the injury would sideline Stewart for the entire 2012 season.

"For me basically it is another obstacle," Stewart said. "I have gone through a lot going to a different school but I am in a better place now.

"Now I have no choice. Now it is 'all right, you really aren't playing.' I was looking forward to it. I was excited, I am a competitor, I'd like to come in and compete right away especially in my own home state and help out but either way I am coming out all right."

Stewart was attempting to max out at 440 pounds on the bench press when he suffered the injury.


"We were doing our max lifts," Stewart said. "I was doing my bench and my shoulder just gave out real quick, just a freak accident and something I didn't expect. It hurt . I had 440 on the bar, it was going up and I was feeling good. I was pumped that I was getting stronger. It was so freaky and in two days I am having surgery and now I have to recover."

The good news is that Stewart played at Florida as a true freshman so he has a redshirt season available. He should be ready to go in spring drills and will have three years of eligibility remaining.

"My teammates, they took me on and accepted me real well I enjoyed working with me, pushing them and them pushing me and just being in a new atmosphere is really nice," Stewart said. "I think it comes to a certain level of comfort. For me I felt really comfortable. I felt comfortable in Gainesville and I feel comfortable here but I get to see my family and I love them to death so that is basically it."


RYAN WIRTH REACTS TO KENDALL REYES' BIG NIGHT
There were no lack of television viewing options last night but there was no way UConn senior DT Ryan Wirth was about to change the channel when his former teammate Kendall Reyes was making his NFL debut for the San Diego Chargers against the Green Bay Packers.

Reyes, a second-round pick of the Chargers, had four tackles and 1/2 a sack in the exhibition opener.


"I watched every play, you know that," Wirth said. "It is awesome. You have (Zach) Hurd over in Oakland, you have (Robert McClain) down in Atlanta, I got to catch a couple of these guys play. As a kid it's crazy how close that (goal) is. I have a lot of respect for those guys because those guys worked. If you are in the NFL, I have seen it being here so long, it is the guys who worked their butt off and those ar ther guys who actually make it."



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home