Friday, August 10, 2012

Hand's Matt Walsh talks about his decision to commit to UConn

A day after Hand rising senior running back/linebacker Matt Walsh received a scholarship offer from his dream school he made it official by committing to UConn during an unofficial visit to campus on Friday.

Walsh is physical two-way player who led Hand to the 2011 Class L title as a junior. He is also realizing a dream by committing to UConn.


"Since the beginning of the process and growing up I've always wanted to go to UConn," Walsh said. "It was always the big team around here; (UConn) was always the home team for me. I have been up to Storrs many times. The facilities are amazing and I love everything about it.

"The offer was yesterday," Walsh said. "I called them yesterday and talked to them and . It was what I have always hoped for. I didn't have to think about it. It was really exciting especially being in Coach (Paul) Pasqualoni's office but I still think it hasn't set in yet. It is going to take a few days to set in fully set in."


Although Walsh is a tremendous linebacker for the Tigers, UConn is looking for Walsh to come in as a fullback.


"(UConn offensive coordinator) George DeLeone has recruited him since April," Hand coach Steve Filippone said. "They did a great job recruiting him and he is going to be a good player for them. I think the first thing that stands out is the intensity that he plays with. He doesn't take any plays off and he goes hard all the time.

"(Fullback) was the position they thought he would be the most useful to them and a position that they might be looking for  a fullback at the end of this season."

Walsh, who saw time at both fullback and tailback as a junior at Hand, plays with a linebacker's mentality even when he is on offense.

Walsh admits the chance for his family and friends to be able to see him play his home games in Connecticut is a major plus in Walsh heading to UConn.



"I wasn't one of those finesse running backs or anything so I use my body, the size and strength to basically overpower people," Walsh said. "I just followed it up and my body size was he right type for what UConn
wanted to play fullback in their NFL, pro-style offense. It was the perfect fit for them and perfect fit for me."

With Hand's first practice on Aug. 20, Walsh was thrilled to have the recruiting process over and done with so he can focus on leading Hand to back to back titles since the Tigers won three straight Class M championships from 2003-05/

"I was hoping I could get this whole process over by the weekend," Walsh said. "It was perfect timing because now I have a week to kind of work out and get ready for the season Now I have to focus on winning another state championship."

1 Comments:

Blogger Npotts said...

Love Matt- He is a great kid on and OFF the field.

August 10, 2012 6:45 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home