Thursday, November 11, 2010
Stunner at the Runway
What a game. Some quick postgame notes.
- Edsall showed some guts with the 4th-and-1 call. He said he called time out, asked the defense if they thought they could stop Pitt, "and before they could answer I said, aw, we're going for it." Edsall said he had faith in Jordan Todman and his offensive line, and wanted to control his own destiny. Deep in their own territory with 2:33 left, Pitt would have had a great chance to move into field goal territory.
- "I don't think I could have lived with myself if we punted the ball," Edsall said. "Some people might say it takes a lot cajones to make that call...but these kids give it everything they got. I think I would have been doing a disservice to the offensive football team if I took them off the field at that point."
- Edsall said he saw the look, and could feel the flow of the game. "It didn't feel like that much of a risk," Edsall said.
- Edsall pointed to Jerome Junior making a huge block on the fumbled kickoff that set up the decisive TD pass from Frazer to Isiah Moore. Junior blocked a Pitt player away from the ball, preventing that player from making a play on the loose ball and allowing Robbie Frey to get to it.
- Frazer just had the wind knocked out of him, and was, obviously, fine. "Zach's a competitor," Edsall said. "You've got to give the guy a lot of credit. A lot of credit. What he's been through, it says a lot about him as a person. ... That throw for the TD (to Isiah Moore) that was a rifle."