Sunday, December 06, 2009

On deck: UConn vs. The Head Ball Coach

Press conference with Edsall, who is on the road, just concluded. UConn will face South Carolina in the bowl, Edsall's first experience with Steve Spurrier. The team is off until Wednesday, will practice through Sunday, take next week off for exams and return the following Sunday for game preparation.

Trevardo Williams and Robert Vaughn both got "dingers", as Edsall described them. Nothing serious, and both are expected to be fine for the game. Corey Manning has a high ankle sprain.

Rumors continue about the mutual interest between Edsall and Notre Dame. Randy was asked if he would like to end all the speculation by stating that he will be the coach at UConn next season. His response..."I’m not going to talk about anything,” Edsall said. “I’m coaching at UConn, I’m here at UConn. This is just a press conference about the bowl game and that’s what we’re talking about. I don’t think I have to say anything other than that. I’m not making any comment on rumors, innuendo or speculation. I’m not going to address those things, so it makes no sense to even ask it.”

9 Comments:

Blogger Flounder said...

This gamecocks fan is looking forward to the match-up as it is a pretty good one. Should be a great game and look forward to following your site leading up to the "pizza bowl."

December 06, 2009 7:45 PM 
Anonymous MilfordMark said...

I sure hope Edsall isn't leaving. I think this has been his best coaching season having his team overcome all of the adversity, close losses and Jasper Howard's death.

It just wouldn't seem the same without him.

Is there any more information on his possibly going to Kansas to follow AD Perkins?

December 07, 2009 8:38 AM 
Blogger Gary said...

Since this bowl in on January 2nd, shouldn't it be called the Panda Express Left-over Chinese food from New Year's Eve bowl?

I digress, I was at the game Saturday, only game I was able to get to this season, and boy was it crazy. I had mud up to my a$$ walking back to the car after the game. I felt bad for the players that there were so few people in the stands, but considering I was soaked to the bone before the kickoff I can't really blame people for trying to get home early. I feel the beginning of a cold coming on, probably from sitting in a snowy/rainy stadium for 3+ hours, oh well, WORTH IT!

I think UConn can take down South Carolina, it'll be a fun game to watch.

December 07, 2009 9:01 AM 
Blogger Chip Malafronte said...

Mark --

No chance Edsall goes to Kansas. But there's a very real possibility he becomes the next coach at Notre Dame.

December 07, 2009 1:20 PM 
Anonymous MilfordMark said...

If you interpret Edsall's "no comments" about the Notre Dame gig, they really come across as non-committal and giving him some wiggle room. That can't be good for UConn.

December 07, 2009 1:35 PM 
Blogger Chip Malafronte said...

I think he's interested Mark. It looks like Kelly is ND's top choice, but anything can happen. We should know soon.

December 07, 2009 4:49 PM 
Anonymous MilfordMark said...

Well after this announcement (tongue in cheek from The Onion), I guess Kelly and/or Edsall are next:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/christ_turns_down_3_year

December 07, 2009 5:08 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

When you refuse comment on the situation (ND) you're simply keeping your options open. In my opinion it's better than saying one thing and then doing another and coming off as a liar.

I hope Edsall stays but if he gets the ND job I wish him well.

December 08, 2009 3:31 PM 
Blogger Neville Scott Walsingham said...

Seems like the Kelly to ND scuttlebutt is a done deal. I think Edsall was probably NDs 3rd of 4th preference. It sounds like some of the higher ups we're really high on him, but they probably couldn't make the sell.

Personally, I am glad he will likely stay, and I am glad that he avoided that snakepit in South Bend. Their expectations are totally unrealistic. Edsall would get them on the right track, but his style doesn't lend to overnight success; which is exactly what ND wants. It would have sucked to see Edsall's name dragged through the mud like Weis, Davies and Willingham.

December 08, 2009 9:24 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home