Saturday, October 13, 2007

Checking in from Charlottesville


You live and learn. I figured I'd save the Register a few bucks (and myself a few gray hairs) by flying to Washington DC, avoiding the connection to Charlottesville on one of those tiny planes designed by the Wright Brothers, and driving the 120 miles from Reagan Int'l Airport. Not a good idea.
The bad:
  • I sat next to a crazy old lady (one of those women who looks like she may have smuggled two or three of her cats onto the airplane) who ordered a "C.C.", then coiled back in horror, making a crucifix sign with her two index fingers when the attendent gave her one of those mini bottles of Canadian Club whiskey. "I don't drink that" she hissed. Turns out she just wanted a Coca-Cola, but felt the need to refer to it as "C.C." I did my best to avoid eye contact for the rest of the flight.

  • The flight from Bradley to DC was only an hour, but it took 45 minutes to get through the line for a car at Hertz. The largest car rental company in the world decided two people (one of whom was a trainee) was enough to work the desk on a busy Friday afternoon. Nice planning.

  • The GPS kept changing its mind and altering my directions in the middle of my drive, even though I was following its route perfectly. Hertz calls their GPS "Never Lost". I got lost trying to navigate through Alexandria. I fully expected it to direct me into a lake ala Michael Scott, who steered his car into Lake Scranton because the GPS system told him to on an episode of "The Office" last week.

  • The traffic in DC/Northern Virginia is ranked a tie for second worst in the country with Atlanta (according to the deejay I was listening to), and I caught it at rush hour. The anticipated two hour drive to Charlottesville took closer to 3:30. At least the GPS stayed true once I hit I-95.

The good:

  • Made a side trip to visit George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, which was well worth it (even if it caused me to hit rush hour traffic). I've been to Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, which isn't far from Charlottesville, but took advantage of the chance to see Washington's crib. I'll tell you this...our forefathers knew how to live. The view from the back porch at Mount Vernon overlooking the Potomac River is incredible (I'll post photos when I get back home). If I had a cigar and a glass of scotch, I'd still be there. The architecture and grounds at Monticello are better, but you can't beat the view at Mount Vernon. I'm also a Revolutionary War buff, and a big fan of Gen. Washington's, and there was plenty to soak up in the museums. Only wish I had more time there.

  • Say what you will about Colt Brennan not being NFL material, but the guy is fun to watch. What a second half comeback! Brennan attempted 75 passes and threw for 542 yards in beating San Jose St. in overtime.

  • Looking forward to seeing Shawn Courchesne of the Hartford Courant and his new Target wardrobe at the game Saturday. The airline lost Shawn's luggage, so he was forced to pick something up at Target -- presumably from their Vijay Singh collection. Or is it Ian Baker-Finch?

  • Rumor has it Morris Day and the Time are staying at the same hotel as the Huskies in Charlottesville. I had no idea they still existed. Loved the old MTV video for Jungle Love back in the day, though.
See you at the game.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

Look at this way, at least you have your luggage unlike Shawn.

I'd have to say Colt has played himself out of the Heisman. I do agree though he's a pretty good QB.

October 13, 2007 1:28 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was shooting more for the Dario Franchitti look.

October 13, 2007 11:13 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home