Runway Challenge Week 5
- Willie Williams, (former) LB, Louisville: Oft-arrested teen's criminal record cost him a scholarship to Miami. No other schools would touch him. Louisville gave him a second chance, under strict rules of conduct. But Williams, after being pulled over by police, attempted to hide his stash of weed in his mouth. Uh, Willie? Didn't you think the cops would eventually ask you a few questions?
- Bud Black, manager, San Diego Padres: Ok, Milton Bradley is the most tempermental athlete since Albert (Joey) Belle. But lost in the whole Bradley vs. umpire Mike Winters (both dopes, mind you) confrontation is Black, who felt the need to yank and pull on Bradley so violently while attempting to restrain him he forced Bradley to tear his ACL. Here's a tip for Black and any future managers of Bradley. Just carry blow darts filled with horse tranquilizers and stash them in your back pocket. When Milton goes off on one of his inevitable tantrums against umps, fans, opposing pitchers, inanimate objects, etc., you slyly take out a dart and blow. Effective, and no one will be the wiser.
- O.J. Simpson, criminal: The Juice, apparently taking a break from trying to find the real killers, was pinched in Vegas for trying to steal sports memorabilia he claimed was his. Do you realize O.J. makes $400,000/year from his NFL pension (which can't be touched by any lawsuits) and spends his days playing golf and chasing skirts? This nutcase simply needs to be in the spotlight, for better or worse.
- Michael Vick, dog killer: Tested positive for marijuana while awaiting indictment for dog fighting and animal cruelty charges. No one is surprised. Remember when Vick refused to throw his "special" water bottle with the secret compartment away at an airport?
- Hope Solo, GK, Team USA: Solo, no relation to Han Solo, threw her teammate and fellow keeper for the U.S. women's national soccer team under the bus after a loss to Brazil at the World Cup. Solo was riding a shutout streak before the U.S. coach decided to play the No. 2 keeper. Stange decision, for sure. The backup, a veteran getting on in years, hadn't played in three months and allowed four goals in the loss. Solo, ever the class act, publicly criticized the decision after the game. Solo claimed she would have saved all of the goals Brazil scored. Sure you would've, Hope Solo. Sure you would've. Now if the Yankees would have only put me in to face Luis Gonzalez in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series instead of Mariano Rivera...
- Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State football coach, 40-year old man (in case you hadn't heard): The great orator decided not to acknowledge his team's big win over Texas Tech Saturday, instead spending over 3 minutes berating a female newspaper columnist before storming out like a scorned 6-year old just told he has to finish his milk or he can't watch Dora the Explorer. Whether you agree it was justified or not, Gundy came off sounding like the dumbest man in Oklahoma. He should have called the whole thing off after beginning his hissy fit with the opening line "this was given to me by a mother....of children." Instead, he went into an overly dramatic rant that sounded like a warped mix of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman from Full Metal Jacket and Andy Kauffman yelling at a Memphis pro wrestling crowd about being a real man just before challenging any woman in the audience to wrestle him for the intergender championship. The next day, Gundy said it was "unfortunate" his rant overshadowed his teams win. Was that the media's fault, too, Mike?
Enough of this. Let's get on to the picks.
Game 1: CONNECTICUT (-15) over Akron
Game 2: Air Force (+3) over NAVY
Game 3: Syracuse (-2) over MIAMI-OH
Game 4: Michigan State (+7.5) over WISCONSIN
Game 5: RUTGERS (-17) over Maryland
Game 6: Cal (+6) over OREGON
Game 7: Louisville (-9.5) over NC STATE
Game 8: Alabama (+3) over FLORIDA STATE
Game 9: UCLA (+2) over OREGON STATE
Game 10: VIRGINIA (-6) over Pittsburgh
Game 11: Cincinnati (-15) over SAN DIEGO STATE
Game 12: HOLY CROSS (-6) over Yale
Here are the results from Week 4:
1. kooch 9-2
2. Chip 7-4
3. SeanO's ghost 6-5
8. alex 5-6
Will L 5-6
11. Vinny 4-7
13. kevin 3-8
14. caleb 2-9
1. Ian 27
SeanO's Ghost 27
5. Sammy 23
Vinny from East Haven 23
7. DetroitTigersHater 21
8. sturge-rock 18
9. Kevin 17
10. Wil L 16
11. Alex 16
12. Pete 15
13. Caleb Mandrake 12
14. Dan 10
15. Steve P 8
Get your picks in by clicking "comments" below.