Thursday, April 02, 2015

Mateas draws CFL scouts to UConn pro day

Normally when counting the scouts and/or coaches at UConn pro day, the focus is on  how many NFL teams were represented.

However, with Alex Mateas the No. 2 rated player for the upcoming CFL Draft, there were a couple of teams represented to UConn on Tuesday morning.

"The more teams the better," Mateas said. "At this point the only thing I can do is focus on my own craft and wherever I end up, I will be happy."

I didn't get Mateas' times in the 40 and other running events but he did 22 reps at 225 pounds in the bench press, had a 30 1/2 inch vertical and went 9-1 in the broad jump. His broad jump was equal or better than 30 of the 36 offensive linemen at the NFL combine and his vertical would have tied him for 12th out 39 offensive linemen in Indianapolis.

"There is just excitement," Mateas said. "I feel like I performed best when I kind of clear my mind and let the work you did previously shine."

Mateas, a native of Ottawa, took part in the Collegiate Gridiron Showcase in Arlington, Tex. on Jan. 31 before returning to UConn to work out with former teammates Gus Cruz, Reuben Frank, B.J. McBryde and Angelo Pruitt to prepare for the pro day.

"It was awesome," Mateas said, "I really enjoyed it. It was nice to play against different guys, get a taste of what pro football is like and I loved it."

Mateas' graduation left a hole in the middle of the offensive line. Ryan Crozier, who started the last three games of the 2014 season at left guard, has moved over to play center with Trey Rutherford and Tommy Hopkins the top options to start at left guard.

"He (Crozier) is a great player, great guy and he has a lot of potential," Mateas said. "I am really excited to see what happens with Crozier and the other guys. It going to be awesome to see them play this season."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home