Wednesday, September 25, 2013

DE Holines leaves UConn for UMass

Freshman defensive end Sha'ki Holines has left UConn and has enrolled at UMass. UMass coach Charley Molnar confirmed the news on his Twitter account.

Charley Molnar @CharleyMolnar
#UMassNation, FINALLY welcome @ShakiHolines to the family! #ShakiAndAwe #HolinesThanThou #MadeInMassachusetts #MarchOn
season.

UConn confirmed that Holibes is no longer enrolled there.

According to a report by Bob McGovern on Maroon Musket, Holines is practicing with UMass but he is ineligible to play this season because of NCAA transfer regulations. Since he did not appear in any games at UConn, he will have four years of eligibility.

Holines is the third true freshman to transfer out of UConn as linebacker Cory Jasudowich is now at New Haven and quarterback Richard Lagow is enrolled at Oklahoma State.

We don't get to watch practice once the season starts but Holines was seeing some time with the third team defensive line during preseason camp.

I spoke to Holines after he played in the Chowder Bowl in June and he spoke about his decision to commit to UConn after originally being committed to UMass.

When I get there in the summer I am going to work out, use the facility to my best advantage to try to get as good as I can be so I can play my freshman year.

"When I was a freshman I used to watch them practice and after a while it became my dream school," Holines said. "Once I saw the facility I feel in love with that and I felt that was probably the way to get me out and go to the next level

"We have some good defensive players coming in, good quarterbacks and hopefully we can get some good recruits in next year so hopefully we can win the (American Athletic) conference championship.

"I think this group, with a couple of years together can by junior year, sophomore year we can make some things happen."

By my count there are seven players signed by UConn in Paul Pasqualoni's first two recruiting classes who are no longer with the program.

Former Hillhouse star Rennick Bryan headed to Dean College after he was declared academically ineligible. He is now enrolled at Gateway Community College finishing up the credits he needs to enroll at either New Haven or Southern Connecticut State, Ricky Gutierrez left the team after spring camp, Jason Sylva also headed to Dean and after he graduates, he will enroll at UMass while Wyatt Vinci also left after spring camp and he is enrolled at Diablo Valley Community College. He is on the football roster at Diablo Valley but has not played in any of the team's first three games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home