Saturday, June 29, 2013

Dress rehearsal at Rentschler for pair of future Huskies

During their first few days as enrolled students at UConn there was some playful banter exchanged by former Windsor High School defensive end Cole Ormsby and Tim Boyle, a member of three state championship teams as a quarterback at Xavier High.

Not only where they the only two UConn football signees playing in the Hall of Fame Classic Military Bowl but since Ormsby and Boyle were on opposing teams in Saturday's all-star game at Rentschler Field, there was the potential for a vicious on-field reunion between the future college teammates.

"He is very athletic and has a very good offensive line," Ormsby said after his Marines squad fell to Boyle's National Guard team 15-14. "We talked about it at UConn about the game and I said 'if I have a chance I am going to hit you.' I am not going to be that guy to try to take out his legs, I am not that but I am going to hit him up top and make him feel it."


Ormsby, who finished with a pair of tackles, did get one hit on Boyle but it came after the ball was in the air. Still, it didn't take long for Boyle to realize that he'd better keep an eye on his fellow future Husky.

"Cole is a really good athlete and I kind of underestimated him coming into the game, he surprised me," Boyle said. "We couldn't block him so I had to let go and force some throws. He did a good job and he is somebody you want on your team and I am glad he is (going to be at UConn)."

Despite winning offensive MVP honors for the winning National Guard squad, Boyle admitted it was hardly the best performance of his life. He was 14 of 28 for 102 yards. He threw a 29-yard touchdown pass on a perfectly thrown fade to New London's Sam Miranda. He was intercepted twice, once it was as a result of a pass going through the hands of a receiver and the other when he fired a throw off his back foot while under heavy pressure. He also had  14-yard touchdown run on a beautifully-designed play when he faked the pitch and raced nearly untouched down the right sideline on a naked bootleg.

"I went into this game knowing this was going to be my last high school game," Boyle said. "I had that mindset throughout the game and I wanted to go out with a bang, What better way to do it than at an all-star game with some people you don't know? I am happy with what happened. It wasn't the prettiest win but I am 4-0 (at Rentschler) and it is a nice launching pad going into UConn.".

Boyle, Ormsby and the rest of the incoming freshman class arrived in Storrs on Tuesday to start taking summer classes and take part in UConn's conditioning program.

"I've been there since Tuesday, back and forth, it has been fun," Boyle said. "It has been a rush, I have been busy 24/7 and I am glad I am busy 24/7. Football is my life, I love playing it all day every day. 

"I am very excited, I like the new offensive coordinator (T.J. Weist) a lot, the quarterback situation is not pronounced, all six guys going in are fair game. I know Chandler (Whitmer) is the starter going in and the I am going in trying to learn the offense, I am trying to get my feet wet, get into the locker room and work my way into college so I am not a little freshman anymore."

While much has been made of Boyle being one of three quarterbacks in the freshman class, no position was addressed more than the defensive end/outside linebacker spot. The last couple of weeks players like Junior Joseph, Cameron Stapleton, Sha'ki Holines and Ormsby all had a chance to strut their stuff in high school all-star games.

"We have some good players from Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania, from Maryland and the older players are helping us out," Ormsby said.

"I am ready to represent my town well, represent my family."


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home