Saturday, April 27, 2013

Trevardo Williams happy to land in Houston


Trevardo Williams was absolutely delighted to see former teammates Dwayne Gratz, Sio Moore and Blidi Wreh-Wilson to go in a span of seven picks in the third round last night. He was also not entirely shocked that he had to wait until the fourth round before he was selected by the Houston Texans.

“I knew I was going to be a later draft pick because those guys are prototypes for their positions,” said Williams, a former Bridgeport Central star. “I was happy that they were drafted in the third round because they all deserve it and they worked hard but I knew my name was eventually coming up. I didn't know exactly when fourth round, fifth round but I knew I was going to be there, I believed I was going to be a later draft pick.”

Williams was a defensive end at UConn but projects to be an outside linebacker for the Texans. Houston also drafted an outside linebacker in the third round when former LSU star Sam Montgomery was taken with the 89th pick. In a story on the Texans’ official site, Houston linebackers coach Reggie Herring suggested that outside linebacker Brooks Reed could be shifted to play inside linebacker opening up an opportunity for Montgomery, who was also primarily a defensive end in college, and Williams to vie for a starting outside linebacker spot.

“It does provide us with options to possibly move Brooks Reed inside,” Herring said. “Brooks Reed has played inside for us at time. We feel very comfortable with that move, if that is an option, to get out best 11 on the field.”

Williams said he spoke with the Texans at the NFL combine but never had a sense that Houston was the team that would be drafting him.

“Houston is a pretty good fit for me,” Williams said. “However they can use me, I am willing to get after it.”

Now it is just a matter of waiting and seeing if another UConn player goes in the final couple of rounds with tight end Ryan Griffin and linebacker Jory Johnson the best possibilities to be seventh round selections.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home